Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Wild Turkey and Dumplings

Wild turkey doesn't exactly cook like a regular store bought bird. Cooking one in the oven tends to turn out a bird that is pretty dry. I have tried cooking the breasts in the oven in a casserole dish and totally wrapped in bacon....nope still really dry. Then I tried deep fried. BINGO! We tend to do turkey nuggets quite a bit during season :) But the legs are a different story. I boil the meat off and make a rich stock then package it and freeze it for use later.
 
Well, today is later for one such package :)
 
I plopped the frozen broth and meat into a medium sauce pan with some more water to begin the process for dumplings :) I will simmer it for several hours adding some onion, garlic, salt etc along the way to get the flavor of my broth just right.
 
JUST before dinner I will mix up my dumpling dough and start dropping those bad boys in. I usually make two different batches of dumpling dough as I like fluffy dumps and hubs likes them firmer. The only difference? The amount of baking powder I use :) Below is the basic. If you want your dumps more fluffy just add a little more powder but remember....a little goes a LONG way :)
 
  • 1   cup all-purpose flour
  • 1   teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 2   tablespoons shortening OR oil
  • 1/2  cup milk OR broth

No comments:

Post a Comment